Friday, September 17, 2010

Goldie, My new pet...a Star Tortoise

Welcome to my life...that's to my pet..Star Tortoise. Let me introduce to everyone..Goldie...Yes Goldie is the name of my tortoise. Named by one of my friend, because this tortoise looks like treasure. Whenever I shout Goldie...it will shake its tail..just like a dog..Unbelievable huh..


I wanted to have this tortoise since....err..not long..just a year ago. Get bored of having "kapchai" tortoise. My "kapchai" refers to Red Ear Slider turtle (RES).




We can easily get RES turtle for RM 8 each. "Kapchai" la tu =p I used to have 2 RES turtles. Their size are slightly bigger than my my palm but I released them to Sungai Raja in Alor Star when I can no longer keep them.



Reasons:

1) Bila saiz besar, najis ikut besar, very dirty and smelly. They play with their faeces as well..Yaiksss

2) Their size outgrown the size of the container where I placed them. Releasing them to river..better solution =p

3) Lazy to take care of them


 Here, Goldie is sleeping. Notice the mouth is green. that's because she just finished her vege. Looks like "Joker" from Batman.


I bought Goldie from a lady through a forum and Goldie cost me RM 180. It is expensive for a tortoise but I think it is worthwhile. Legal market sell it for RM 600. Goldie was only 3 inches when I bought her. Well, I assume it’s a "she" because the owner is a guy! It is difficult to determine correctly the gender of Star Tortoise (ST) when it is only 3".



Wondering what's so special about ST? It is special because it hardly available in Malaysia. The origin of the star turtle is from India. The most important of all, the pattern on the shell of the tortoise is so special and nice.


Guess what is Goldie favourite food? kangkung? Beans? No...Those were side dishes. It is Hibiscus! Our national flower! I am so lucky that I can get plenty of such flowers in Malaysia. Eating hibiscus for ST is like Malaysian eating rice. 



So, I pampered Goldie with hibiscus that I plucked at Damansara Utama. That road is totally heaven for Goldie food supply ;p Look how happy is Goldie!



Jabatan Perhilitan will issue you a summon when they found out you are rearing ST. Summon of up to RM 100, 000. I read this statement from a forum and I'm not sure how true this is.

"Rear at your own risk"




I posted a topic on I want Indian Star Tortoise so so badly!!! on June and I achieved what I wanted. Yeah!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where u buy i want to buy too please tell me sanyew@hotmail.com im from kl

Netto Drumz said...

hie Annonymous, I bought my ST from a person who released it through Low Yatt forum. so far that forum didn't allow anyone to sell ST at that forum anymore, as it is a protected tortoise spesies. but you can still find other tortoise sold in that forum, eg: Sulcata and leopard.

If you happen to pass by petaling jaya, thr's a pet shop in sea park (near SS2)selling ST. I went thr last month n saw there are 2 star tortoise there. He sell it for RM 350 for 2 tortoise. A bargain as well.and he will ONLY sell that two tortoise together.

good luck

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...